Sunday, October 12, 2008

The First Frost

Last night, I heard a flock of geese at 10 pm, and then again at midnight, and I went outside to see the huge silvery wings in the moonlight, drifting through city lights reflecting off low clouds. It was a global-warming, fall-too-hot, frost-too-early feeling. I felt concerned about the geese because their calls sounded troubled and frantic until I felt the strength of their wings, and the rhythmic pulse of their calls. A train clattered onto the bridge across the Willamette River, and in the quiet, the vibrating tracks and tons of steel, turned the geese calls into misty whispers. I watched the geese angle toward downtown Portland and wondered if they fly between skyscrapers or find their way around them and how many night owls were quietly witnessing their courage.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I would love to see some pics of Oregon. I seen a movie with Tom Hanks years ago that was filmed in Oregon but I forget the name of the movie. I think he was raising a boy on his own. I just loved the scenery in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will take some pictures this weekend and post them. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peek-a-boo. Your blog is gorgeous. I love the photos, stories, and recipes on your site. The music is beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete